Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Service Sites


Thank goodness finals are finally over for my main classes and now I am going to be starting service sites for the next month. I am excited to announce that I will be partnering with Walk in the Light Ministries with seven other students from APU! Walk in the Light is based at the city of Pietermaritzburg and works specifically to empower the people in the community and help those in need.

At the site we will be helping with gardening, visiting people in their homes, praying over people, listening to their stories, encountering people who have been affected by HIV/AIDS, working with kids, visiting hospitals, becoming involved in the distribution of food and mainly just being servants for God. Tomorrow will be the beginning to starting relationships with people and to put myself way out of my comfort zone in order to fulfill God's will. 

I do ask for many prayers for me and my team; that we are able to humble ourselves and, as outsiders, that we come in with open hearts and minds. It is so easy to think that we are the experts and that we have come only to serve and fix their problems, however, that is not necessarily the case. It is our responsibility to sit and listen to the people in the community and then partner with them in order to help achieve their goals. It is also our responsibility to teach them to be independent, so that when we can no longer stay in the ministry, they can continue to strive without our help. We have been learning a lot about community and how we must empower the people here. It is a difficult concept to grasp, but I do hope with all my heart that my team can make an impact and that we too will have an amazing experience partnering with this ministry. 

Always, Allex 

0 comments:

Post a Comment