Friday, November 16, 2012

Blessed

I made a video about the different things that I did with Walk in the Light, the organization I worked with, however, my internet usage here isn't that great so the video will have to wait until I get home in a few weeks. But I would like to share a few words here just describing how much of an impact they have made in my life. 

First, my team, that I had the privilege of working with, were and are the most amazing people of God. They consistently encouraged and supported me, loved me and comforted me during the tough times, and uplifted me towards God every chance they had. We had such a great group dynamic and we had such a huge heart for the community of Haniville. We loved the people there and wished we could stay for a few more months. It seemed like we were finally beginning to build relationships with them and then it was already time to leave. We were starting to get a taste for how the community is run, how Walk in the Light plays a role in helping the community, who the people are, and how we could empower the people to see that they can make a change in their community. All good things come with time of course, but I simply just wished we could have stayed a little bit longer. 

I am going to miss talking to Tracy and hearing her input during our devotionals in the morning. She somehow always knew just what to say and we understood how wise and knowledgeable this woman of God really was. She was actually quite brilliant, patient, and had the heart of gold when it came to helping the people in the community. She always put people before her and she truly cared for our team and even made sure that she was at the banquet to say her goodbyes to us. I have met many great and loving people at Walk in the Light, but she will be the one who I will miss the most. She has taught me many life lessons and her words inspired me to grow more in my faith as well. Thank you for everything Tracy.

I will miss the women workers who, even though they mostly spoke Zulu, always brought laughter to the group. They taught us so much about the community and how we can best love them. I will miss Snash, the man of God who sang beautifully at church but at the same time could tease me about how I didn't really know how to chop wood. His huge smile and sarcasm will be missed greatly. I will miss Phindile, who opened my eyes to the realities of the community, who was there to translate, and who was there to welcome us to any situation. She too has a heart of gold for the people in the community. I will miss the youth group who was loud, funny, silly, Godly, and overall welcoming. It was incredible to be with a group of students where we could come together and fellowship. To be brothers and sisters under Christ and give Him praise. Those moments in the chapel where we played ice breaker games and shared sermons will be missed. And lastly, thank you to Bruce who started this organization. Even though we didn't get to know him that well, he was doing all the behind the scenes work on running this organization. Without him the community of Haniville would be nothing. Thank you to Walk in the Light for providing a place of service for us and a platform for God's will to be done. I am so blessed to have worked with my team and with the people of Walk in the Light. I am forever grateful and I hope to come back again.

Always, Allex

1 comments:

Ashlie Valencia said...

Wow, it warms my heart to read this. You are truely an inspiration and such a beautiful person inside and out. Thank you for posting blogs because I really love reading about it. Blessings! <3

Post a Comment